Monday 29 April 2013

The end of an era

So today is my last day at work.  I have worked at this firm for nearly 7 years.  I have had times when I have loved my job here.  I have made some good friends and I know that at least one of my colleagues will be a friend for life.

But there have been dark times.  There have been times when I've felt bullied.  There have been times when I've felt my professional ethics have been in direct conflict with my job.  There have been times when I've felt the conflict between being a mummy and being a lawyer so acutely I've felt I might rip in two.

I've learnt a lot in this job too: about life, about the work I do, about the professional I want to be.  I've also learned that actually I do have something to contribute and that people will listen to my opinions.  Twitter has given me the most amazing gifts.  The gift of confidence that actually I'm good at what I do and worth listening to, a whole new world of contacts, and I feel like I've had some proper mentoring in a way that I never had in my "actual" career.

My resignation was not an amicable thing.  The senior partner has taken it very personally and accused me of having very deliberately embarked upon a course of action to get some training paid and then leave.  She was quite rude and unpleasant when I resigned (by e-mail not in person) and has then not seen me or spoken to me since I resigned.

For my part I will miss some great people but I've known for some time that this job is not where I want to be personally or professionally.  So I'm scared about doing something myself but I'm also excited that I will control the work I do and the ethics of what I do.  I feel properly happy in a way I haven't for a while.  I can already see that I'm less stressed, and am shouting less at my husband and my children.  Long may this continue!

Lastly, thank you to everyone who has played a part in the journey of mummylawyer.  I will still be tweeting and I might even still blog.  I will be keeping this anonymous account.  I have a professional account that I will use for work (it's probably less fun but potential clients may be slightly unnerved by me ranting about my children blocking the loo again).  I really couldn't have got this far without the kindness of strangers.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there, You have done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this web site.

    Law firms in London

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katz & Associates is a firm that serves individuals in the Miami metro area and throughout South Florida. This firm has helped myriads of clients resolve their legal issues in many practice areas, including family law, bankruptcy, and divorce, commercial and civil litigation. Katz& Associates is on your side, offering you their knowledge, their counsel and their support. Recommended Reading http://katzassociateslaw.com/dui-defense-lawyer/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog. I can relate so closely to your experience because I am a lawyer and a mum and would love to resign my job for more time with my family. But I cant afford it at this time. My husband and I have some debts to repay and he cant do it alone. I know I need to step back from all this work and rediscover my passion because I have definitely lost my way. My work life has eroded my self-confidence in ways I cannot explain. The subtle bullying and demeaning tactics and career sabotage I have had to face along the way has been in no way pleasant. But I have been pretty successful so far at it. But I know I need to step back and pay attention to my mental health. I just cant do it now. Sorry for ranting on your page. The point is I can totally relate. and reading this has made me feel like I am not alone in this world. Thanks and keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete